Saturday, December 26, 2009

'USB Over Current Status Detected' Error Fixed

So, you have been messing around with your PC and suddenly you see 'USB Over Current Status Detected, Shutdown in 15 Seconds!'

(if you just want the answer, mine is posted at the bottom of this page. Scroll Down to the * to see.)

Dear God! WTF?

Well if you Google this problem you will find a whole bunch of different solutions but I thought I'd write my own since it was really quite simple.

I have a Asus A8V Deluxe Motherboard and I just upgraded to Windows 7 using a new hard drive. Once I did this I also upgraded my RAM to 4GB.

After a few issues with the Hard Drive and system 'hang ups' I started to investigate in the BIOS for any problems and then after a few unsuccessful goes I discovered the ominous message 'USB Over Current Status Detected, Shutdown in 15 Seconds!'

Shit!

Ok, well I tried a few things to get the system back and I even inserted my old Seagate drive with Vista on it and I could not get past the message. I could not even get into the BIOS.

* I ripped out my latest stick of RAM (Legend. L1264D37 - BU1HDH9B - 1GB DDR400 Hynix HY5DU12822BT - D43) and suddenly everything was fine again. I don't know how or why a dodgy stick of ram would cause a 'USB Over Current Status Detected' Problem but go figure....

I'd love to know what the problem actually was but it only appeared after I inserted an older SATA WD Drive which seemed to set of a chain reaction of problems culminating in the 'USB Over Current Status Detected' problem.

Good Luck with yours!

Muzzerino.

System:

AMD Athlon X64 +3200 Venice Core 2.0GHz
Asus A8V Deluxe
Asus Nvidia 7800GS
4 GB RAM (Now 3GB RAM thanks to this problem)
WD Greenpower Drive Caviar 1TB HDD
WD 250GB HDD

No comments:

Post a Comment