Monday, June 22, 2009

"should a smack as part of good parental correction be a criminal offence in New Zealand?"

"should a smack as part of good parental correction be a criminal offence in New Zealand?"

First of all what the hell is a smack? can someone define it for me?
  • I smacked my kid
  • I smacked that bloke who was looking at my wife
  • I smacked me neighbour in the jaw for parking his car in my driveway
???

Also can someone explain something else?

Why the hell does the question say "...in New Zealand?"

I know I live in New Zealand. It is a New Zealand referendum. It does not apply to Fiji, Cuba or South Africa. Why the hell do Kiwis have to drop 'New Zealand' into everything?

Maybe I am being an arse but sorry, no one else in the world is going to see the TV ads or vote on it except NZ'ers.

The question is also loaded. I would feel stupid if I voted 'yes' on it, but I am not voting at all, because I feel that those who wrote the question are putting words into my mouth.

As far as I know, it is NOT a criminal offence to 'correct' your child physically if needed to stop them from harming themselves or others.

So not only do we have an ambiguous referendum question, we have one steeped in a South Pacific identity crisis.

No comments:

Post a Comment