Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A Fairer Union Jack? Alternative Design

Controversial? Yes I am sure it is. I have always loved the Union Jack Flag design, but I do acknowledge that it is not representative of all the people of the UK.

Wales is of course left out completely as they fall under the English St George's cross due to complex historical reasons.


Scotland is well represented in the Union Flag, but has been a little bit diminished since Ireland was joined to the UK in 1800 and thereafter the St Patrick's Cross was added which covered up some of the Scottish St Andrews Cross.


I decided to go ahead and Photoshop the above alternative to include the Red hand of Ulster which from what I have read is not an official flag, however it is often used by British Unionists and therefore I reckon it is suitable for this topic.

Wales of course has to be included as well and although they have an awesome flag, it is very difficult to fit it into the overall design without completely changing it. I thought if the Welsh Dragon was included in the middle, it would be quite cool.

Please let me know what you think in the comments!

muzzerino.com

  • Dear American, this is NOT the Flag of England >>
  • Evolution of the Union Jack >>

1 comment: