Thursday, April 30, 2009

Moving Back to Scotland from New Zealand

Edinburgh in Winter from the Braid hillsI left Scotland in 2002 when I met my other (Canadian) half. We now Live in Auckland, New Zealand.



We love it, but after visiting back home to Scotland twice in the last few years, I find that I miss it and could easily move back.



In a few years time, due to family reasons we probably will move to the northern hemisphere again either to my partners home of Nova Scotia in Canada, or my home of Edinburgh, Scotland.



I was one of those people who always wanted to emigrate and I did. I feel really happy about emigrating and I have amazing adventures to show for it. Once we hit retirement (we are only 30 at the mo) we will probably end up coming back to Aotearoa (NZ)



Is Scotland a good place to move back to? obviously there is the family links and amazing social scene which I have to admit, is far better than anything in NZ or even Australia for that matter. There is the culture, history and festivals which all fall in the correct season for my northern sensibilities (I hate a warm Xmas).



One thing that I discovered after I left Scotland is when there is a show on TV here in NZ about Scotland or even the UK in general is how bloody amazing it looks from the other side of the fence. New Zealand and Australia have the beaches and the warm weather (although don't get me started on NZ winter) and Scotland definitely lacks in consistent blue skies and high temperatures, but what about Scottish Winter?



Winter in Edinburgh is absolutely amazing! having lived through some very hot summers I can tell you, if it has to be cold in winter, I would prefer the nice crisp and clean air that we get in a lovely winters day in Scotland than the wet, uncomfortable winters day in Auckland.



<span class=Another thing that looks great from the other side of the fence is the nature and history. NZ has amazing scenery but then so does Scotland. The thing Scotland has in addition to the amazing scenery is the history and stories that go with it. One thing I find it hard to comprehend is that New Zealand is actually slightly larger than the island of Great Britain, but with only 4 million people it seems that even after my initial 6 week tour, I basically saw the majority of the place.



The UK however is somewhere that you could explore for many years and you would still never see it all.



When we move, I will miss New Zealand. Its an easier and perhaps slower pace of life here. People are friendly and the beaches and the weather are amazing. But once upon a time I would have placed weather and exotic isolation near the top of my list on places to go, I guess they have lost the top spot to things like culture and family and the proximity of Europe.



It is an interesting reversal that probably comes with getting older.



So, in a few years time, we will leave NZ to move back to Edinburgh or Nova Scotia and then I will discover if all those things we get nostalgic for are worthwhile or not.



I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this!



Muzzerino

No comments:

Post a Comment