Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Connie Culp : Amazing Bravery

I just saw this story on TVNZ and felt that I had to at least acknowledge this story in my own way. The western world is constantly concerned about 'image" and this amazing woman has proved that it is what is on the inside that matters...

When I heard that her husband basically blew her face off with a gun, I was shocked! I was shocked to see her face and was shocked to see how it looked before... I dont think I would ever have the bravery to do what she did and stand up to be filmed for all to see.

The fact that she did so has sent a message that we should not worry about our image so much and just get on with life...

From ABC News..


The United States' first-ever face transplant patient today publicly thanked the doctors who performed her surgery after a devastating 2004 shooting incident left her disfigured and unable to eat or breathe on her own.
Five months after surgery, the first U.S. transplant patient tells her story


"Well, I guess I'm the one you came to see today," 46-year-old Connie Culp of Ohio said at a press conference at the Cleveland Clinic, where a team of surgeons performed the surgery five months ago. "While I know you all want to focus on me, I think it's more important you focus on the donor family that made it so I could have this Christmas present, I guess I should say."


The 23-hour surgery, which took place over two days in December 2008, garnered widespread media attention shortly after it was completed. The operation was the world's fourth foray into face transplantation surgery. Culp's identity was not released at the time of the surgery, but today she introduced herself to reporters by her first name.

Currently, doctors are waiting to see how much function Culp will regain as the nerves in the graft continue to regenerate.


No comments:

Post a Comment