Sunday, October 18, 2009

Iranian commanders assassinated : Terrorism?

The word 'Terrorism' is used far too loosely these days in my opinion.

The attack on the USS Cole in October 2000 was often called terrorism even though it was a military target which was attacked (via suicide) by an aggrieved aggressor. The latest (Oct 2009) attack on the Islamic Revolutionary Guards is surely also a 'military target'.

I'm not saying its right, but why can we draw a clear line between what is Terrorism and what is not. I always thought that terrorism was when innocent (civilian) non-combatants are deliberately targeted for death and destruction. These Islamic Revolutionary Commanders are not civilians, they are military personnel and military personnel from ANY nation should always consider themselves as a 'fair' target by whatever enemy you have. Who that enemy is? I don't know.

I just wish this blanket labelling of 'Terrorist' and 'Terrorism' would stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment