Sunday, August 31, 2008

Die Loud Adverts! DIE!

Yep, No doubt about it, I have been ding some digging and people are pissed off about this issue.

Now maybe I am wrong, but I thought because I own my TV, in my own house that maybe only one person should be in control of the volume on that TV, me!

I don't mind ads, sometimes they are funny, but if I am relaxing in my own castle and suddenly WHAM! "buy a McDonald's Meal NOW!!!!" ad comes on at about 50% higher volume than the programme I was watching, then guess what? I hit the Mute button.

Shooting themselves in the foot they are. As far as i know, ads work best when they are not shoved in your face! they work best when they are subtle and amusing... surely the people who do the research on this must know that?

unless if course, this is just a burden for those of us with sensitive hearing, which I admit I do have...

  1. Ads Too Loud!
  2. Channel 5 Ads too Loud !
  3. BBC too Loud !
  4. NZ Herald too Loud !
From the NZ Herald....

[Rick Osborne, chief executive of the Communication Agencies Association, the advertising industry's body, said UK-style guidelines were not warranted at this stage, and any future decision on their introduction should be left up to the Advertising Standards Authority.

TESTING RESULTS

TV ONE: TEN YEARS YOUNGER IN TEN DAYS
Volume - Ads played on average 20 per cent louder than the programme.
Range - Programme loudness ranged over a factor of 1:4.77.
Ad loudness ranged over a factor of 1:2.95.

TV3: CAMPBELL LIVE
Volume - Ads played on average 50 per cent louder than the programme.
Range - Programme loudness ranged over a factor of 1:4.42.
Ad loudness ranged over a factor of 1:1.72.

The range is the "loudness difference" between the background sound level and the maximum loudness of a track. The smaller the range, the louder a track will sound.]

Blog Search this Post I am not ALONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment