Sunday, August 31, 2008

Papatoetoe is not Compton (NZ Gang Culture)

NZ Gang Culture, South Auckland is NOT South CentralYet another shooting in South Auckland. Maybe it has nothing to do with what I have to say but I am going to say it anyway. "Papatoetoe is not Compton"

South Auckland is full of people from a wide variety of respectable backgrounds and rich cultures, including Maori, Tongan, Fijian, Chinese, the list goes on.

But what culture do many people in these areas try to identify with?

Hip Hop "gangstas" from south Central L.A.

Are people so ashamed of their culture that they need to follow and identify with another one based thousands of Kilometres away in a foreign country?

Don't get me wrong, I personally love Hip Hop, I am a huge fan if it and personally think Ice Cube's "it was a good day" might be one of the best Hip Hop singles ever made, but mate, I don't go dressing up like him, might be a bit embarrassing if I did.

I am from Scotland and have my own culture which I am proud of. One day long ago, yes I admit I may have attempted a bit of Americanisation of my own style, cap on backwards, baggy jeans, swagger etc, but that was when I was 13! not 27! and I wont be doing it when I am 35 years old!!!

Its embarrassing and cringe worthy, if you do this...

People are laughing at you.

"Westside" "Fa Fa North!"

No comments:

Post a Comment