Thursday, August 21, 2008

Should I Include the Union Jack on my Tattoo ?

I have been pondering this for a while now,
here is my dilemma.

If a Canadian wanted to get a Maple leaf tattoo or a Canadian flag inked onto their arm, they would, and they would probably reap praise and approval from their peers. The same goes for an American, Australian, New Zealander or almost anyone else barring those nations that are in a bit of upheaval regarding their political situations.

But myself, as a Scot I want to get a Tattoo which includes the Scottish Flag, My family shield and the Union Jack. Why? Not because of any religious or political reason. I am not an "Orangeman" and I am not a fan of the Rangers football club. However I have been accused of being an Orange Rangers supporting Royalist in the past when I wore a shirt with a Union Jack on it in my home town of Edinburgh.

Yes I am Scottish, but does that automatically preclude me or anyone else from being British too? My passport says I am British, Scotland occupies about 1/3 of the island called Great Britain and the blue and white part of the Union Flag is mostly the Scottish saltire.

Sounds fine to me. However there are issues. Many Scots see the Union Flag as the English flag, either through ignorance or just because they prefer to label it that way out of some kind of traditional we-are-occupied-by-a-foreign-power kind of mentality.

Many English do it to, I have seen the Union Jack often alongside the name "England" for example in England's Barmy Army logos.

An English mate of mine also has a big fat Union Jack tattoo on his arm with the word "England" underneath it. I asked him, "Why didn't you get the English Flag on there?" his reply, "Eh? This is the England flag" It took the better part of an hour and several beers later to convince him otherwise.

So naturally I feel pissed off about this. I do not feel dominated by the English, after all both Scotland and England surrendered their status as sovereign countries back in 1707 at the same time to form a new country, Great Britain. Even if there were injustices ( and surely there were ) that was 300 years ago for gods sake. Can the Scots and English not move on?

At this moment, Great Britain is doing spectacularly well at the Beijing Olympics, with Scottish, Welsh and English athletes all competing together as ambassadors for our little wind swept island. It seems as though unity is possible indeed, yet I am still hesitant to get the tattooist to chuck a nice Union Jack on my arm as part of my tattoo. My family, friends, or anyone else who sees it will either quietly grumble about it, or ask "why the hell do you have that English flag on yer arm?"

Its a shame that I should have to worry about it, or feel the need to explain should a gripe occur.

I am sure a Vancouverite has never had to explain to a Nova Scotian as to why he has a maple leaf inked into his left arse cheek. And I bet a Texan has never felt the need to choose his words carefully while telling a New Yorker that he has some Stars and Stripes tattooed around his left nipple.

Anyway, that's all from muzzerino for the moment on this subject, I think after writing this blog post I have convinced myself, I am going to get that goddamn tattoo!

Go Team GB!

No comments:

Post a Comment