Sunday, October 12, 2008

Can I afford a House in Auckland, New Zealand ?

With all this stuff happening in global finances, does this mean I will finally be able to afford a house in Auckland?

House prices in New Zealand are still ridiculously high, given the low quality of the buildings. I could sooner afford a house in Edinburgh with central heating and double glazing than buy a house in Auckland with no heating, insulation and with the high chance of it being a "leaky home" I am very cautious.

Wages here in NZ are lower than most places, yet house prices are as high as anywhere!

Me and the missus are looking at moving to Nova Scotia in the next few years where you can get a fully detached 3 bedroom house with all the bells and whistles for around $300,000 NZD, maybe less!

Still, I'd prefer not to rent until then, so I am going to wait a while longer to see if those house prices crash.

New Zealand Average Price in NZD = $405,235
United States
Average Price in NZD = $369,839
United Kingdom
Average Price in NZD = $347,992
Australia Average Price in NZD = $623,107


Check here for an interesting comparison of UK, USA and NZ house prices. I think you will be surprised and possibly depressed at the same time.


Muzzerino

No comments:

Post a Comment