Monday, October 20, 2008

New World Self Checkouts

New Zealand's New World supermarkets have a new toy. Self Checkouts.
Looks like a great idea, you scan items yourself, pack them yourself, then pay and leave.

Unfortunately I have discovered a bit of a flaw in this system at my local supermarket.

At my local Devonport branch they have 4 self-checkouts, but the other day I turned up and only 2 were working. The other 2 checkouts had the "Checkout Closed" sign up.

Now forgive me here but I thought the whole point in this system was that no staff were required, except to supervise. I figured it would be quicker for the customer to get through the self checkouts.

There I was standing in a queue behind about 2 people at the self checkouts while the other 2 self checkouts were "closed".

How can they be"closed"? were the robots out having a cigarette break or at the toilet? perhaps the staff in the supermarket have an insatiable perverted desire to simply put the "checkout Closed" sign up at any opportunity, even on the self checkouts in some bizarre fetish to annoy customers?

I don't know. All I do know is that the only advantage to this system was for it to be quicker, yet that advantage has been neutralised when they close the "self checkouts" because of....well I don't know why, just because.

Maybe the hamsters inside the Self Checkouts were tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment