Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Edinburghs Hogmanay 2009 !

Should I go to the 2009 Hogmanay Street Party this year? Or should I do the family thing?

This is the dilemma I face.

Last year I travelled from my adopted home in Auckland, New Zealand to my original home in Edinburgh, Scotland.

My Canadian girlfriend had never seen the amazing Edinburgh Hogmanay Street Party celebrations before so I really wanted her to experience it.

We went, we drank, we cheered with friends and we watched Edinburgh Castle explode in a torrent of Fireworks!! It was amazing.

As always, the Hogmanay event did not disappoint, although I was lucky this year, (some previous years firework displays have been cancelled due to high winds)

Edinburgh's Hogmanay is in my opinion, the best New year event in the world, partly because in Scotland we hold New Year / Hogmanay in such high regard. As an adult, Hogmanay is much more important in Scotland than Christmas is in many ways.

People all over the world sing "Auld Lang Syne" (Old Long Since) on New Year Eve, thanks to us Scots and in Scotland you will find that the New Year / Hogmanay celebrations last all week, not just one night like in many countries.

If you ever have considered going somewhere different for New Year / Hogmanay, I would highly recommend going to Scotland and Edinburgh in particular to join the street party of over 100,000 people in the same street, drinking, cheering and wearing silly hats.

And if you like to get up close and personal, you may love it when complete strangers come up to kiss and hug you after midnight. Another great thing about Scotland's Hogmanay!

So this brings me back to the issue at hand. I have been to the Edinburgh Hogmanay Street Party about 10 times and I should probably spend this one with my family, the thing is, I always feel I am missing out if I do not go!

Should I go to the Edinburgh Hogmanay 2009 Street Party ???

No comments:

Post a Comment