Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Google Chrome : Review (updated)

Well I am writing this review in Google Chrome and so far so good.

Pros:

Search and address / URL bar are now one: I like that because it reduces the amount of screen real estate we use. And you can still set your preferred Search Engine in the options menu. (no Google monopoly so far)

Application shortcuts: Google Calendar, Docs and all the rest can now be added as "online applications" via the browser to your Desktop or Quick Launch, very handy and it does so in a way that when you launch those applications later, they open in a dedicated simplified Google Chrome window, without the normal browser elements.

Compatibility: I used Google chrome today to update my work's website in Quicksite Pro CMS.
Normally I use IE7 for it since I get right click functionality within the CMS but I need to use FireFox for uploading images in a flash uploader (which wont work in IE7) Today however, I found that I could use Chrome for everything, I got the right click ability and it uploaded complex files with no issues.

Importing Bookmarks, Passwords etc: As soon as you install Google Chrome it can immediately import all of your bookmarks, settings etc from FireFox. I did so and it actually feels like FireFox in that respect since all my bookmarks have loaded into the same place.

Incognito: Browse without leaving a trail on your PC by switching on the Incognito feature, I don't think this affects the trail that Google and other sites keep of your visits, but no browsing history or cookies will be left on your own machine.

Downloading: I am a sucker for smooth graphics and a very cool graphic appears whenever you download something. The downloaded appears very much like FireFox.

Cons:

Back Button: When you want to revisit a previous page where you submitted a form, such as an image search within a site, Chrome hits you with a bizarre and very annoying message.

"Confirm Form Resubmission: This web page requires data that you entered earlier in order to be properly displayed. You can send this data again, but by doing so you will repeat any action this page previously performed. Press Reload to resend that data and display this page."

What ???

IE7 and FireFox have no problems with this one. I don't know what the hell is going on but if you refresh the page it fixes it.

Set Image as Desktop Background: This feature doesnt exist!! :-(

anyway, that's all from me, I am going to play some more with Chrome...

Muzz

OFFICIAL CHROME BLOG
(hopefully they will fix the bugs)

No comments:

Post a Comment